March 10, 2011

Pinewood Derby 2011

Spencer's last year in Cub Scouts has been tough. Moving away from his cub pack in Virginia was something he was very sad about. He loved his leader and scout master and new them well. It has taken some adjusting for him in Alabama to feel a part of the pack. One thing that always cheers him up is getting ready for the Pinewood Derby.

Like in previous years Brandon let Spencer draw up his own design and make it the way he wants. This being his last year, he really put effort into it.  I was amazed at the creative process Spencer went through to come out with his final product. He drew up a sketch of what he wanted his car to look like and then went to his dad for suggestions. Spencer took some of the feedback to tweak a few things here and there.

 After school I would catch Spencer in the garage with his sketch pad drawing and then looking at the block of wood and then drawing again.  I was fascinated with his determination to form this block of wood into a race-able little mini car. After the design was final I took him to the craft store so he could pick out his chosen colors and particular brushes that would make the smallest of details noticeable.  He then had Brandon cut out the car and began the rigorous process of sanding the perfect points and rounded curves all the while wearing home depot eye goggles. Priceless right? When it came time to put the weights on he took his time gluing each one. We didn't have a scale so he was very careful not to put too much or too little.

It took Spencer three weeks to prepare for the race. He was a bit nervous because instead of competing with his troop of 15 cubs he would be racing the whole Montgomery Alabama Stake of cubs. It turned out that he had nothing to worry about. He won third place (one of his weights fell off without him knowing in the last round or he believes he would have ranked better).

Here are the pics...



By the way I was in charge of getting the trophies for the boys that day and ordered them by phone through a local company. Well, I didn't notice until race day morning that they spelled stake like "STEAK"! I thought it was hilarious. We didn't have time to make any changes. I found comfort in my favorite, most used saying... it is what it is.

1 comment:

The Hunts said...

Yea Spencer! Cayden is loving his first year of Cub's, and it would have been so fun to have you guys still here. And I love the Montgomery STEAK! Maybe I'll order on the next time we go out to eat? :)