November 3, 2010

I think it works!

As you all know I just moved into a new house no long ago. I was debating whether or not to put up pictures and decorate since we are in this house such a short time (9 months to go). I thought to my self, as I often stared at the walls, how blank they were. It was so boring. I also didn't think it was fair for my family to not feel like it was our home. In the military we are taught to make your house your home no matter how long your in it 'cause you never know what's going to happen. I finally broke down a few weeks ago and decorated our living room wall. I took a picture of it so I would remember where everything goes when I have to pack it all up and move next summer. Here it is....
As I sat back and looked over what I had created I noticed that what was on the wall is really what I value the most, my family, my country, my friends (one gave me the USA plaque, one gave me the shelf, and one took the pictures), as well as the star, which was inspired by my sister.

 I love it and it makes me happy. Isn't that all that matters? When I watch all these decorating shows (a good place to plug in how sadly obsessed I am with Nate Berkus) or walk into Ikea I see beautiful rooms put together and wish I could do that, but what makes this room different (besides the fact that a top designer didn't put it together) is that it feels good. I pieced it together with items that are meaningful and claimed ownership. It's my wall! Even if it's just for a short time.

4 comments:

Kelli Brewer said...

Super cute! =) And it always makes me feel SO warm and fuzzy when I see my photographs hanging in peoples homes!!

Natalie said...

Thanks Kelli! I LOVE your photos! You really are so talented!

Larsen Family said...

I love Kelli's photos! I wish I lived by her:)
I love your wall!

Natalie said...

Thanks AMber!! Kelli is really amazing!